Monday, May 25, 2015

Shanaya





What are you passionate about?
I’m really passionate about civil rights, people, justice, and the environment. A lot of people assume that the Civil Rights Era has passed but it still continues in our country as well as the world. In some countries women’s rights are still suppressed and even in our own country we have race battles with law enforcement.


What got you interested in you passion?
I read Road to Lost Innocence and it really got me interested in this subject. It’s about a girl who is trafficked and is taken out of slavery and is taught skills to give her a life. Also, i went to Oman and Qatar which are places in the Middle East. I loved the beaches, speaking, writing, and reading Arabic. I loved being a part of a new community because my host family was like my second family. i started wearing a hijab out of respect for the family and the country i was in but even after i left i still wore them. I felt very comfortable in it and not at all pressured into wearing it. I also felt that through wearing it i had a deeper understanding of Islam and a respect for religion.


What do you see yourself doing in a few years?
In the future I want to work with WHO and manage so that i can make a real impact.


What will get people to share their story?
People will share their story when you ask them what their dreams are because they will love talking to someone who is willing to listen. And talking about your dreams makes them more concrete and more attainable.



What advice would you give someone?
I would tell people to pay attention to violence, especially to violence against minority groups. The sections that take place at a protest aren’t as important as what they’re protesting about. It’s important to become a part of advocacy groups that you feel strongly about because it’s a great experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment