Saturday, May 30, 2015

Andres


What are you passionate about?

One of my greatest passions, ever since I was a kid, is the science behind construction. Everything engineering and architecture related has simply fascinated me. As I grew up, I tried focusing all my studies into the STEM field. Doing so would finally make me understand all of those structural enigmas that intrigued me during my childhood. It is simply majestic to me.

So, how did you get interested in engineering and architecture?

I grew up in a very big city in Mexico, called Guadalajara. Everywhere I went I was surrounded by these amazing, ancient styled buildings, like cathedrals and churches. But, there were also many modern skyscrapers, different monuments and artistic structures. I think I was just amazed by all the different kinds of structures. They were all beautiful and different.

People aren’t always open to others about their stories, it’s a fickle thing, to share utmost and personal memories. What do you think would make people open up about their stories?

I think people would be more willing to share their stories and passions when they see more acceptance. A wider variety of perspectives would make them feel understood, make their passions valid. People tend to be shy about what they like based on the reactions they see on other people when others try to discuss their ideas. That’s something we really need to change in society. We need to build a safer environment for everyone to be able to express themselves.

How did your passion manifest itself, and where do you see yourself with it, your passions, in a few years?

I started to take my passions seriously, and considering it a possible career, at the beginning of middle school. That was when I knew I had to work hard in order to achieve my goals. It’s hard for me to make an exact prediction, but I see myself, or I would like to see myself, starting my professional career after college. A possible master’s or even a PhD, the further I get the better!

Self-expression can be a struggle, some struggle with the idea of expressing themselves a certain way. How have you expressed yourself?

I’ve always been a person of few words. I always try to communicate my emotions with actions. Whether it’s by demonstrating what I feel and how I feel it, or through some sort of visual representation. Sketching and listening to music, they’re easy ways for me to channel my emotions, and turning them into something that other people could appreciate and understand.
Society likes to fiddle. Through ideals and manifestations from people, society sets these values on people. It likes to see people a certain way.  How different does society see you versus who you really are?

Now that I think about it, that’s been one of the biggest shocks that I’ve experienced ever since I moved to the US. As an immigrant, I have never felt truly represented, identified, with the terrible stereotypes that society has had of us. Even coming here by choice and through legal means, I still felt that society saw me as a burden, an ignorant and illegal burden. I saw it the way people treated me. I had to get used to people underestimating me, doubting my abilities because of my struggles to adapt to this new environment.

How do people’s assumptions affect you and your actions? Or has their assumptions, blatant stigmas or certain stereotypes, of you changed you as a person?

It is always hard to adapt to a new place you’re not used to, and sometimes the actions of new people you’re forced to interact with can deeply affect. I struggled a lot at first, not only because I left everything I knew behind, but because I was the only one in my family to actually experience what life is like here. I felt very insecure. People see me differently when they realize that I immigrated. Even when I had the fortune of running into really marvelous people, helping me adapt and never judged, I still felt the pressure of society. Media, little tidbits of conversations, and the way people reacted to certain topics. Sometimes I held myself back from lots of opportunities because of my growing insecurities. 

And finally, there are others that are in the same position as you. They are going through the same struggles, facing the same stigmas and going through the hurdles society has given them. Any advice to them?

Hold on to your dreams. Stereotypes can hardly be ignored, which is unfortunately. But instead of focusing on them, people should try to stick to the good things in life, good people and good experiences. These will help you find inspiration, help you keep moving forward. It is always hard to start, but it always gets better. I know it sounds really cliché to say that, but it really does get better. Giving up means you’ll never reach your true potential. The adversity is just another of life’s many obstacles, and every time we overcome one we become stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment